View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Video games are purely lights and pixels. Their only existence is by way of our interpretation.
In TS at least they are also made of memes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
I do not believe in memetics therefore I would consider myself to be immune to memes.
That doesn't make any sense. Does not believing in genetics make you immune to cancer?
Quote:
If doing research on memes how could you protect yourself from their influence. That is a form of observer affect but this case the observer is affected by the study.
That is, of course, a problem with science in general and the social sciences in particular. You protect your data by using blind controls, probably. You protect yourself by using the various containment and protection technologies available from applied Memetics. In particular a VI can filter out specific memes with the right software.

Quote:
How can someone study memes without themselves being 'infected'?
Looking at raw data about memes doesn't directly transcribe those memes (it does transcribe the memes in the data about the memes, though) anymore than you can grow a fly directly from a printout of it's genome.

Quote:
Is there a dememunisation facilities. The sort of can you 'unknow' what you know now?
Toxic Memes does have rules for deprogramming.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote