View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #78
Skarg

Default Re: New use for XP - Heroic Exploits

In general on using XP costs, I struggle to interpret them because I can't make sense of the RAW ITL XP use rules unless increasing IQ allows adding talents too, or some (? even better?) other house rule to make sense of them.

That is, personally I want to have all characters (including NPCs) have a consistent system for learning at least some things like swimming or horsemanship or a new spell without needing to somehow acquire and use 500 XP per point, while retaining the meaning of typical attribute point totals where average people are 30 points, 32 points is an above-average person, 35 points is notably more capable than most, and of course then there are many sub-30-point people in the population who are not considered cripples or incompetents, yet many of whom who stay below-average (q.v. the meaning of the word average). i.e. I want people to be able to learn something like swimming or be trained in a new weapon talent without implying everyone can add 500-1000 XP as easily, but instead increase their attributes, because that would mean to me that average people should be more like 36 points, which in many ways is very much not what I want.

I say all that as context for commenting on your costs for these super-powers. Because the implications for a campaign are extremely different depending on whether the GM assumes these XP requirements are a big deal that few people could do, or whether they're trivial because a basic military training can give people 1500 XP worth of weapon talents, so there may as well be a trained Healing Corps that instead put that 1500 XP into level-2 healing Power so that the army has a lot of magic healers. Now, you did clearly say the GM can and should limit the availability of Powers, so this would only exist if the GM wanted it to, but it seems like how this is balanced is tied to how the GM relates to the RAW XP costs for learning talents.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote