View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #38
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Dodging while being levitated by Telekinesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
So, 100 - 50 = 50. Still significantly higher than HT+6 (Will+6). And failing that HT (Will) roll will cause HP or FP damage based on TK ST 50, or an equally horrific affliction.
Yeah, lifting up a horrifically strong foe IN COMBAT after spending a single second to limit their responses is hard. This works for me. An Unresisting foe can be lifted with a Ready maneuver.

Quote:
Unlikely, but it becomes more common under more human conditions. Assuming 2 pickup attempts per minute of wrestling on average, a 90-minute training session, and a 50% of it spent actually wrestling (numbers very roughly WMG'd based on vague memory of university years). Assuming that beginners will have ST10ish and weight 150ish lbs, that gives us HT-11 rolls, failing which causes damage. But I've been picked up and have picked up people multiple times, despite having unremarkable ST and HT, and neither experienced nor saw such nasty outcomes.
In lethal combat? No? Then not apt comparison.

Quote:
Okay, sure, it applies to a regular grapples too, albeit in a different way. E.g.:

Let's say I want to pick up a house cat - ¼×BL, which is a roll of HT+5. For a couch potato with HT9 and Unfit, that's a 13 against the cat's DX of 14. 28% chance of being able to successfully pick up a cat. A bit low, isn't it?
After a single grapple? Not at all. spend a few seconds restraining the cat. Also you forgot again that a ST 10 vs ST 5 housecat inflicts -1 DX and -2 ST per 2 CP inflicted due to scaling. A few successful grapples and the cat just loses, esp if you spend CP.

Again, pickups are for combat. You can pick up a friendly housecat with a ready.

I did say in a pevious thread that there needs to be a threshold below which the HT roll is irrelevant. I think I suggested BL/2 or so.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote