View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 01:59 AM   #23
Plane

Default Re: Empathy with low IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
So, penalize the character for taking an advantage that doesn't even work?

And even if the advantage, as written, is supposed to include the delusion "I'm always right", it wouldn't have to infect the other members of that person's group. If they notice that he's almost always wrong about people, they'll start working on that principle, and physically restraining him from acting on his instincts.

The advantage, as written, creates an active perverse incentive to engage in "bad roleplaying". The problem isn't with the players, it's with the bad rule writing (which should have been caught in the 4e playtest process, so I accept a small share of the guilt).
I don't think you're ever obligated to believe in your feelings, but I think I understand the point you're making. If you are only right half the time, then you would have no incentive to trust your feelings since you'd be just as often right as wrong.

This isn't like torture, where you can get specific data and then test if it was right or not. If 50% of the time you think non-possessed people are possessed by ghosts and possessed people were non-possessed, you wouldn't find it useful when you're actually able to correctly detect them without knowing which are the correct times.

"Skills for Everyone" in GURPS Powers could be a solution. If it's a skill instead of an attribute check then you can get a +5 bonus to it by spending 30x as long on the task. Someone who knows from experience that their hunches are usually wrong (or only right half the time) could know not to trust their gut unless they spend 30 seconds examining that gut.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote