View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #531
Prince Charon

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Given all of this, I'd wonder what lessons her people get from news about the other Englands? I'd bet she keeps a tight reign on the information that gets out, and she strongly emphasizes the power of the Dp-British Empire and the Stp-British Empire. I bet she doesn't really allow too much information out about the reduced circumstances of the Ip-United Kingdom, or the fact that they got supplanted by the nation created by the rebel American colonists.
It helps her misinformation campaigne that the Commonwealth exists on Earth-1, and Elizabeth II is the acknowledged head of same. Nationalism is pretty much in its infancy, so the Queen of the UK being theoretically head of what appears to be a vast and powerful empire is going to be more important in their minds than how much authority the UK's parliament has (and it can be a while before they really understand how little influence the Commonwealth as an organization has over its members; EDIT: of course, with UNIT, and working together to eventually build a few PSFs, the Commonwealth is more important than the same organization on our Earth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
The smart move is to try to integrate the North American colonies more fully into the United Kingdom, including parliamentary representation. However, that dilution of power starts to step on a lot of toes of existing interests.
True, but it helps a lot that the colonies are only just getting started, and now they have radio, which can go transatlantic in the right weather conditions, and rather faster ships than the same period IOTL (as well as early rockets and airships).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote