View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: Shields, explosions, area effects, cones and large area attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
The player seems to believe that standing behind a (large) shield is equivalent to standing behind cover. I am unable to disuade them of this notion as it kind of makes sense to me
Quote:
The knight ducking behind a shield to avoid dragon breath is in so many pictures it seems to make sense as an option
The large shield doesn't completely cover you, it covers more like from your knees to your chest. So you kneel behind it and use it as Cover DR instead of as a Block.

Quote:
You can't though block a speeding car with a shield in real life. I am talking about a massive weapon for a giant.
If you're using breakable shields as a rule, then a shield can't block more than (HP+DR) damage, I'm pretty sure. It's just that from the Basic Set, this is almost always more than enough to stop any reasonable-sized muscle-powered attack.

If an attack does enough damage to destroy the shield outright, the first thing that gets hurt is the arm using the shield and you can use Overpenetration rules to see where it goes from there.

And a lot of attacks are simply marked as "Cannot be Blocked or Parried", so you can neither block them nor parry them.

Quote:
I am also a bit unclear of when a shield take damage. Is it every block? or just where the DB makes the difference.
Only when DB makes the difference, or when it's being used as Cover (since passive environmental fixtures always take damage).