View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #33
Tom H.

Default Re: Roleplaying experiences without a GM in Car Wars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialchild View Post
Holy cow!!!!

@43Supporter, Blue Ghost, philreed, swordtart, Tom H. and owenmp- You guys are awesome!!!

First off, you guys inspired me to invest 47 buckaroos into some Car Wars PDFs at Warehouse 23! :D
It's great to see your enthusiasm.

Just in case you missed this thread from September 2018, it may be relevant to a lot of topics you brought up.
CW as a roleplaying game

~~~

Another great Car Wars experience that was not on your list of purchases was autoduelling through the streets of the town Midville.

Your timing is great because you will be able to get the printed, fold-out maps when they bring back Crash City via the Kickstarter on Jan. 30 (see https://pocketbox.games/products/car-wars/).

Midville provides detailed city terrain for your vehicle to interact with. I recall cutting across lawns to avoid the hazards of tight turns and then hoping my bend was the right angle to thread my car between the upcoming corner of a building and a light post.

Midville also provided the initial stage for using all those extra pedestrian weapons and building damage rules that you may have come across in your Car Wars Classic rules. With enough breaches, buildings can actually collapse and spread debris modifying the environment you're duelling in.

Crash City also provided a lot of quasi-roleplaying setting. Buildings had descriptions and purposes. There was background for conflicts between resident pedestrians and autoduellists, raiding cycle gangs, and the iconic MONDOs (the neighborhood defense organization).

What is the extent of Midville?

As far as I know:

1. From the early 1980s, Crash City (originally sold as Sunday Drivers) provided the initial two maps (each 21" x 32") with the streets, parks, and businesses of Midville.

2. Expansion Set 3: East Midville provided two more (21" x 32") adjoining maps. You can get a total urban spread greater than 5 feet by 3 feet. Moving in fractions of a second, it's almost too big for a day's worth of gaming.

3. It appears that all this was collected and updated in the late 1980s for the product Midville.

~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialchild View Post
I'm planning on playing Convoy tonight . . .
That's great fun when playing with friends. Let us know sometime how your experience went.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote