View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #32
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: What do we mean by "Realistic"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
When I am talking about social and economic realism, I am generally talking about people who have realistic social and economic responses to the events in the campaign. For an example of social realism, everyone has their own complex motivations that underlie their actions (even if they do not realize that they have those motivations), so villains should have a reason for their villainy other than just being evil and heroes should have a reason for their heroics other than just being good (and the plans of villains should logically reflect their reasons for villainy and the methods of heroes should logically reflect their reasons for heroism). For an example of economic realism, societies where wizards are capable of generating high quality light for cheap will not hunt whales for lantern oil and societies where anyone is capable of contributing to ceremonial magic should not have widespread poverty (as the availability of magical energy allows for massive gains it economic productivity and the ability of anyone to contribute to ceremonial magic should allow for a baseline Struggling income).
That's not the part that I found worthy of elaboration. I'm more interested in the nuances of the earlier-indirectly-mentioned view that those who would be playing in something not socially/economically realistic are robots and not people, e.g. fans of classic supers, Captain Planet, Snow Crash etc.