View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #38
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Alternate Crosstime Organizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm not sure where the inspiration for the idea came from. I'll have to remember your spirit world idea. Which is vaugely familiar of fairies in Gunnerkrigg Court.

Storing world specific power in specific objects is an interesting twist. I'm not sure how I feel about specific objects being required to enter specific worlds ... unless its somehow reproducible. Maybe any dragon that can make a key to any world it can visit, but such trades are both valuable and introduce competition into a world. Or maybe the objects have to be from the world in question, and the dragons need them brought back.

now I'm imagining a 50's era television sitting in middle of a dragon's hoard.
My GF reads that comic but I haven't.
That's why I was thinking mnemonic device rather than absolute necessity.
But maybe dragons trade spiritual "patterns" that they affix to some valuable object in their material world that in some metaphorical way matches.
They can wander the multiverse without a "map" learning new worlds, but it's dangerous, time consuming, or just otherwise something only a few adventurous dragons spend time doing much of.
Perhaps some trade with mortals for crosstime objects as a shortcut. Most dragons may consider it gauche or demeaning, but still profitable.

Dragon hoards often have strange inscrutable objects.