View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Alternate Crosstime Organizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Draco:

Dragons are masters of magic, but their greatest tool is the ability to project bodies on other worlds. They can essentially build the body they need or want, as long as it follows the natural laws of the world. The dragon's physical form stays in a safe place on its homeworld, while its mind "pilots" the body. If the body isn't piloted, it lays in a brain dead state.

The great advantage of this method is that the bodies are disposable. A battle can be fought with 100% causalities and no real losses. Suicide missions can retrieve valuable information. It also gives them a high level of shape-shifting: They can sneak around as a rat, steal identities, and build monsters for combat.

Dragons generally try to install themselves in positions of power. A dragon wishes to be in the limelight. On their home-world there are relatively few people to pay attention to them. They don't find physical sensations (such as their body dying) anywhere near as important as the emotional sensation of power or being widely feared, hated, loved, or rumored about.

Dragons do work together, but usually in smaller numbers, or on massive projects like taking over a world. These groups usually split into quarreling factions over the spoils once the goal has been achieved.

Not all dragons are necessarily part of this faction. In fact, a variation on them is humanoid wizards who just frequently project dragon bodies.
I had a vaguely similar idea way back. I imagined their long sleeps involved projecting into a spirit world where they interact with each other, learned magic and other esoterica, and simply enjoyed altered forms of existence.
Most stories have individual dragons that somehow know loads of skills without ever being taught in a material fashion.
Perhaps some pieces of treasure are simply mnemonic devices to help reach specific worlds. That gold cup was not some mere bauble of metal. It was the object necessary to reach an entire realm.