View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #46
Fred Brackin

Default Re: High Amounts of non penetrating damage. Bullets VS Plate Carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It's not much momentum, but it's around 3.5 kJ force. .
You should be ignoring kinetic energy or force or KJ or anything besides momentum.

The Mythbusters tried this. They hung a pig in a tactical vest on a hook so it could be knocked off by a very small transfer of momentum. Tori did it with a thrown baseball.

No gun they tried could duplicate that feat until maybe the shotgun slug and more clearly the .50 BMG. They had to replace the standard trauma plate with 3/4 of an inch of mild steel which the .50 BMG penetrated anyway.

Note that the .50 BMG did not cause the vested pig to fly backwards energetically. It probably only went back a quarter of an inch. Of course the thrown baseball didn't cause anything but the barest amount of backward movement either.

You sometimes see what is clearly Gurps Knockback on the football field but no reasonable bullet meets armor scenario will create any. 100 kg men at over 6 or 7 meters per second sometimes but no bullets.

So I wouldn't introduce massive house rules to "fix" this "problem". I certainly wouldn't think I could ever make it square with raw damage.