View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
PK

Default Re: Discworld RPG and Mars Attack preorders arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Mars Attacks is cheaper to do in color since its much smaller. Also could hit a younger audience.
Considering that the Mars Attacks trading cards were the source for every adaptation, from the movie to the dice games to my GURPS book, we basically didn't see the point in doing this if we weren't reproducing their beautiful full-color art. Basically, it does double duty as a GURPS supplement for gamers and a "coffee table book" for Mars Attacks fans. And we started with that assumption to work out how many pages we could include and still sell it at a reasonable cost.

In other words, it's less that "Mars Attacks was just 96 pages so we decided to do it in color" and more that "we knew Mars Attacks had to be done in color, so we budgeted for 96 pages." Same thing overall, but different emphasis. :)

The converse, in terms of starting needs and priorities, is that with the Discworld RPG we knew that Pratchett's text and worldbuilding (and Master's development of them) were the key. So there, we used every trick we could to squeeze as much wordcount into the book as possible, and then approached art, layout, etc., with the goal of keeping the price reasonable. Hence the B&W internal art.

#behindthescenes #themoreyouknow

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 12-30-2016 at 01:07 PM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote