View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #434
43Supporter

Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
A boat on a river ain't the same thing (but I presume they did indeed miss them since Washington did in fact cross the Delaware).
The Hessians missed them because they never *saw* them -- showing up at 3AM... well, does the name "Nightsword" ring any bells? :)

Vehicles vs. Peds: The one problem which Peds have never been able to overcome is DP -- a Ped has 3 to start with, and at-best can add maybe 6 on top of that (I've never had occasion to test the efficacy of Riot Shields); and, as noted, they are vulnerable to Burst Effect. So that's 1-2 hits they can take; the question then becomes "how quickly can the cars get those hits" (and "how many of them are getting hit at once" -- spreading out the Peds helps their defense, but makes concentration of fire a bit harder).

I dug up some of my convoy-adventure paperwork, to see what I was using at the time -- bearing in mind most of these date from the mid-'80s:

Point Vehicle: Always a Midsize (rolling brick with hefty throw-weight) -- usually a _Tomahawk_ (standard, or HF), with WG added; or my _REM-4A_ (2x RR F; sub-$15K) w/ WG.

Rearguard: Midsize -- a _Joseph Special T_ with the HRs replaced by MDs. Luxury -- a _Hotshot_ with three FT-to-MD swaps (1 ea. L, R, B). Whatever the case, it's usually sub-$20K, yet can make life difficult for pursuers (esp. if one plumps for "dual-mode" detonation on the mines).

Air Support: 1-man Helicopter here; it's typically the only hull one can afford for any sort of limited budget (~$40K; essentially counts as 2 cars). A _Gnat_ with Bombs vice HRs is effective; the "EDSEL _Snapdragon_" I mentioned earlier is even better (Univ. Tu. MG, plus CB15s).

"Floaters" (the guys in the middle of the convoy): Midsize or Luxury, with something in a turret. _Joseph Special T_, or even one of the old "taxicab" designs works here.

Support: Pickup, usually a _Micro_ with WG added; the turreted RL isn't exactly perfect, but it can be used as a "floater" as well as for ash-and-trash detail.

This is using "basic" _CW_ tech; start adding stuff like Metal Armor (which is going to render most Ped weapons useless, requiring them to put more budget into heavier, and less-mobile, guns) and Electronic Warfare, and the strategic and tactical discussion becomes *far* more complicated (and expensive).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote