View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #20
Skarg

Default Re: Experience Points

Wow, on first read-through, this all looks really, really good to me!

I'd think other races would probably be "shifted" by their offset from human, so a Dwarf would pay the same for ST 11 that a human would for ST 9. This and the limit have the cool automatic side-effect that suddenly racial starting points are much more significant than they ever were in TFT, where really in practice they were only minimums. This way they're maximums, and if I'm right about the EP costs, they affect those too.

There are also interesting new trade-offs for players to consider in terms of going for really high single attributes eventually, versus several good attributes sooner, and of course I love that there are other things to buy with EP other than always increasing attributes.

And I love saying goodbye to the memory-limit on talents.

I think 40 points is a great point to set a limit, as that's about the point that I think TFT characters stop being like starting characters plus a few points, and more like a breed apart.

Of course there's room for interesting variations by race, and possibly exceptions or other details. It would of course be easy, as Ty suggested, to set a higher cap for more over-the-top campaigns.

Quibbles & details that come to mind:

* Existing materials sometimes have characters over 40 points to look at (Death Test 1 & 2, and Tollenkar's Lair).

* It seems like it probably increases the attractiveness and ability of non-wizards learning spells by a lot.

* You mentioned Drain Strength, but are you considering Aid spells on apprentices as another way to recharge staffs? I don't see that as a particular problem.

* I'm not clear what a wizard can do while contemplating to recharge their staff. Can they march? Are they less observant while doing so? Does it mess them up if they get X level of distraction? Maybe it just means they have to be awake and not casting any other spell for that long to get a point of recharge? If someone had a lucid dreaming talent, could they recharge it while sleeping?

Anyway, I think this seems like a really exciting revision!
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote