View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
GuyMacon

Default How to improve the a.i., part one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
we'll take a look at how this can be improved.
(This is for the long term. Right now fixing bugs ad adding elements that are in the board game is a much higher priority.

In have a lot of experience programming A.I.s for Chess. I think you could learn a few things from the way the chess programs do it.

First, I am assuming that the A.I. looks at the result depending on what it does, and picks the move that it thinks best. In Chess, the A.I. typically assings 1 poit to a pawn (you gain a point if you take the opponent's pawn, lose a point if he takes yours) 3 points to a bishop, 9 to a Queen, and 9999 to a checkmated King (its OK to lose everything if by doing so you achieve checkmate). Controlling the center of the board gives you a fraction of a point, a queen that is trapped loses a fraction of a point, etc.) If the Ogre A.I doesn't follow this basis scheme, let me know and I will adjust my advice accordingly

I assume that the game does something similar; killing a super heavy tank gives you more points than killing a light tank.

So the first thing to do in the essential personnel scenario is to adjust the points so that killing the train or the track is a very high priority. Likewise, in the lucky break scenario killing infantry should give more points than normal, and killing infantry that is close to the disabled Ogre should be worth even more points.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote