View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #22
JustAnotherJarhead

Default Re: Two Weapons + Spike Shield?

There was mention of "two weapons" talent being overly powerful, and maybe dumbing it down a bit.
Having played two fisted fighters since the 80s, I'd have to say there is a reason you dont see characters with this skill very often.

The attribute requirements to actually have the skill will keep many starting character types from choosing this.
A beginning character stands a much greater chance of surviving his first session, with a sword n board conventional character, lean his points towards ST & DX, grab some leather armor and fight with a defensive approach, and he'll live much longer than any two-fisted fighter.

In fact to make my next newbie lizard man survive long enough, to develop my envisioned twin blade wielder, I am having to do just that, and come out of the gate with a sword and board initially, and hope to live long enough, to develop my two weapon style that I've always played in the past.

A quick chime in regarding rules:
Play with what you will, but keep it balanced. A Two-Weapons trained fighter, "pays" for this option, that basic rule gives him a regular non-modified strike with his primary, like everyone else, then a -4 to hit with his off hand.

When ever I hear of ANY non trained Character attempting this even with two small weapons, I think strong negative modifiers to hit would be in place, like the -6 on both attacks.

When I start to hear anything less, like a -4 to each attack, I think...really, my high DX high IQ Trained fighter is -4 in his off hand, how on earth is Joe blow the same?

I'm opposed to anything less than the -6 in both attacks for unskilled fighting type practitioners.

A Main-Gauche is a specific parrying dagger, purposely designed to block blows, it should never be more than it is, it requires some knowledge of its use, and it is not just a dagger, but it is also far from a shield.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote