View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Advice on running a Wuxia game

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
What about Damage Caps? I am a little worried that somebody with (for instance) a Very Fine Light Horse-Cutter and Weapon Master might just outpace the damage of somebody with a Jian, or even worse, unarmed fighters (I know that Unarmed fighters get Brawling/Karate/Sumo Wrestling/Wrestling Damage/ST bonuses, and that the Claws (Blunt) advantage is another cheap way to increase damage, but still). Does anything break down horribly if I allow these two to coexist?
I wouldn't cap weapon damage - wuxia has too many prominent weapon users for a limitation on them to be appropriate, I think. For similar reasons, I wouldn't use the "Unarmed Etiquette" optional rule, which over-punishes armed fighters. However, some kind of bonus to unarmed fighters is definitely going to be necessary. Allowing cinematic perks like the various Iron Body Parts or Special Exercises should help. I'd also suggest simply ignoring the rules for injuring the defender's hand/limb on a failed unarmed parry. While a typical wuxia hero might have a very good unarmed parry, sooner or later they'll fail, and if you use the rules for injuring limbs, they'll probably lose a hand at that point.

Another idea for keeping unarmed fighters competitve with armed ones is to allow one of those alternate benefits for Trained by a Master I mentioned above to be "treat one of your unarmed attacks as if it were a Fine or Very Fine weapon", with the attendant damage bonuses. That would suit styles that were focused on power and precision.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote