View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
Icelander

Default Re: 1980s American Cars, Guns, Gadgets and Consumer Goods [Atmosphere, look, minutiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Cars:
1) The kid probably has a Jeep Grand Cherokee or possibly a Land Rover.
See above. I'm considering a 1988 Range Rover Vogue SE or a top-of-the-line Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
Quote:
2) Dad likely has a Chevy Blazer
That sounds promising. Is it better off-road than a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, a Ford Bronco or a Chevrolet Suburban?

Quote:
Gadgets
9) Cellular phone, nominally portable computer.
Yep, for sure.
Quote:
9b) Pager, possibly a taser if they're worried about her safety.
I've been assuming that FBI agents in 1988 carry agency-issue pagers. On the other hand, Agent Estevez surely has a superior privately-owned model, so her mother can remind her to call in every night.

Taser or an equivalent is a good thought. I think she'll have one.

What is a good civilian self-defence electric stun weapon, with all the bells and whistles, made between 1982-1988?

Agent Estevez did not have any kind of firearm licence, CCL or experience with firearms before training at Quantico. So she'll have gotten something shiny and high-tech designed for self-defence, but not classified as a firearm, when she left for Stanford in 1983.

Quote:
11a) I don't think Maine ever had gun registrations. Certainly by 1985 they're on a shall-issue concealed carry license basis, where a CCL must be issued unless that government can demonstrate that the licensee can't legally own a firearm.
At age 18, yes.

On the other hand, I was under the impression that ever since 1938, firearms dealers had to be federally licensed and anyone buying from them needed to record his name and address.*

After 1968, more record keeping was required on the part of gun dealers and mail orders were prohibited. The age to buy handguns from licensed dealers was raised to 21 and prohibits certain people from purchasing firearms. I'm guessing that here is where gun dealers started asking for valid ID when selling people they didn't know firearms.

What I'm wondering is what happens to the records that the licensed firearms dealers keep? They cannot be used to create a national firearm registry, but presumably they are filed somewhere?

Aren't there state fees and taxes involved in individual gun sales? So the paperwork would go the state?

I honestly don't know the answers to these questions. I assumed that it was possible for local police to have someone look up whether or not a person they were serving a warrant on had some form of firearm licence and I thought they could, with patience, find out which guns he had bought. At least if everyone involved filed all their paperwork, paid all taxes and dues and made no attempt to conceal the transaction (such as by buying at a gun show).

*I don't know whether this required that a valid ID of some sort be shown matching the name, but I somehow doubt it. In any case, gun shows required no form of ID and neither did mail orders.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-21-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote