View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #550
larsdangly

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Based on that last sentence alone, I'd have to be against the change, then. Here's why: I've played games like Dragonquest, Sniper, and others that used an "action points" system to allow precisely that sort of detail. Such systems are, inarguably, more accurate and simulationist than even GURPS is, but they are also far more nit-picky, time consuming and rules driven than TFT is or ought to be. One of the key attractions (to me) of TFT is that we can get through combat fairly quickly, with a good feel for the action, and without measuring everything with a micrometer caliper. Changing to a system that requires that much more work to complete a combat situation is precisely why I decided that I still preferred TFT to Dragonquest in the first place. Naturally, I only speak for myself in this regard, but I suspect I'm not alone in this feeling.
There is a pretty straightforward solution to this: resolve action in turns that follow the same decision/action sequence as melee, but shorten what can be done during each. I.e., movement is 0, 1 or 2 and an action is just that - 1 action. I've toyed with this sort of variant and it is not slow. It is just a bit like playing chess, with a quick back and forth between sides. It is relatively inappropriate for combats with a half dozen combatants on a side, because you end up having to juggle too many decisions per combat. But it is not a slow or difficult way to resolve a duel.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote