Thread: TL8 Computing
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #55
whswhs

Default Re: TL8 Computing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
...but none of that is unique to you or uses software or hardware not readily available commercially.

Elon Musk and his crew are being innovative, the rest of us are riding coat tails.
What do you mean by "innovative"? I'm not a programmer, except to the minimal degree that involved in working with Excel or LaTeX; I'm a user. I'm never going to devise new software. But that wasn't the issue you were discussing; you were discussing whether people make use of having access to the sum total of human knowledge. Well, I do. I write GURPS books, and I do a lot more of my research for them online than I did when I started in 2000. I copy edit scholarly publications, and I can check things about them online in a way that didn't used to be possible; for example, just today, I was copy editing a chemistry paper, where one of the cited papers didn't give the journal where it was published, and rather than take the time to query the authors, I did a Web search on the author's name, found his Web page, found his list of publications, searched on the name of his first co-author, and found a paper with the same co-authors, volume, and page range, and inserted the name of the journal. That IS making use of "the sum total of human knowledge." I think that by demanding that I should do it with cutting edge hardware and software you're moving the goalposts.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote