View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #8
CeeDub

Default Re: Takes Recharge, but allows repeated consecutive uses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I'm guessing you want an effect that allows freely repeated uses, with a recharge delay imposed only after you stop those uses? In fluff terms, it's one continuous use of the ability.
Yes, that is correct. What I'm trying to model is an Innate Attack that can be fired continuously over several seconds. In fluff terms, it's one long stream of heat vision, in game mechanical terms it's an uninterrupted series of All-Out Attack maneuvers. As soon as this series ends, that ability becomes unavailable for at least several minutes, possibly an hour. I haven't yet decided on a specific duration for either, without a mechanic for the effect.

Although, come to think of it, I rather like the "scale" of Costs Fatigue 1. It allows bursts of several seconds for a character with FP around 10-15 while at the same time encouraging conservative use. The recharge scale fits nicely as well, with (burst length) x 10 minutes. I'd be just fine with (burst length) x 1 minutes, too. There's just no way to enforce a pause of this length between uses. The player can easily fire a two second burst, take a Move action, and then fire another two second burst. This is what I'm trying to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Is it important to limit the total duration of use per unit of wall clock time, and if so, over what interval? (A day? Week? Hour? Minute?)
No, not at all. I'd be absolutely fine with no limit on the duration of use - I think the All-Out limitation caps that all by itself. What's important to me are at least a few minutes between uses, however long the actual uses may be. Rest time scaling with the length of use would just be the icing on the cake.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote