View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #74
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
How is he doing two steps here, that's a CA at minimum (no feint as that's limited to 1 step), so if he's attacking with reach 1 he could get the side attack benefit here, but he won't be grappling because he needs another step to get into CC (3 hex movment in total). Again what we are trying to here model is important here.

Also when you say front left hex, do you men left side hex?
I do mean in case of CA. It's either CA with two steps, no Retreat and -2 to defences, but a Wild Swing, or a regular step-and-feint, sideslip (good if you have Judo), but normal attack by the enemy.
Woops, needs to be first hex of movement into front-left, second into rear-left.

A kick or sweep is within Reach 1, so I can feint, because I could attack him with it.
Another interesting option is a Defensive Feint, if you believe you need a failed attack more than you need to be non-parried (not sure why, but there might be some tactic for that).

Quote:
I go with left hand punch (and leverage in some way the reduced defences that U1 will no be suffering from)
Yeah, left-hand punch is an option to look out for.

Quote:
However here' where it gets into reading of the wording GURPS pg386 regarding Step says:

"You may change facing
freely before or after you
move"
That's why I'm waiting for the whole Step to complete, as in, complete with both moving and rotating. I don't think the intent of the authors was to maintain separate pools of movement points and rotation points. If you read differently, the tactics change.

Quote:
If your wait is triggered by the target moving towards you one hex but before he attacks, when does the face change occur? Is you wait actually after he move forward after he does or doesn't change facing but before he attacks, or after he moves but before he changes facing and attacks?
Wait should be triggered after the facing is decided.

Quote:
Probably defend with a side step to get back into face to face relative position.
True. So the point is to grapple him, so that he gets denied retreats/steps.

Quote:
True, but now we get in to the facing while grappling issues (as per above) and he still has his knife.
It seems quite plausible to grab his right hand while approaching him from the rear arc, and RAW doesn't seem to forbid it either.

Quote:
Wait and feint in general works well because you get to immediate follow up on the feint move all while the target is frozen in time (depending on hwo you interpret the free facing change)
That's one of the points of sacrificing immediate attacks for waited ones, yes. They also cause repeated Parry penalties.

Quote:
If your talking about the parry to the following grapple attack, that's not the one I'm worried about. Its the following knife attack you'll face while you doing a two armed grapple to the arm without the knife, that concerns me.
If you grapple him from the rear-left or rear hex, then the attack is a Wild Swing, and he can't just turn around without spending an Attack. If you grapple the knife arm, you're good too.

Quote:
If it's tied to a wait, if you not doing waits it's You go: step and feint, I go step and/or adjust facing attack, You go facing back to where it was (but you get any feint benefit)

You need to define you terms of the set up here. there's a lot of assumed waits, and the target just moving forwards and attacking etc.
I'm definitely assuming that he's the aggressor with a knife, while we can afford to Wait. If he doesn't approach - good. If he approaches - good. Things change if he goes for AoA and runs up close. Or slams, or whatever. Those are different tactics, and we might want to explore them too.

Quote:
Also just think about feints and unarmed combat, a feint can only happen if the supposed attack is in reach, so that means to do an unarmed feint you have to be in CC, or feinting off kicking?
Feint of a kick/sweep/jump-kick/etc. No need to keep threatening with your hands - make the opponent watch your legs while you attack with arms!

Quote:
Arm lock's one of the skills which works well when getting your opponent into a situation that favours you and dis favours him.

But it does that best by removing his area of advantage.

So you facing the chap with the knife, you arm lock the knife wielding hand (and a high arm lock skill means you more likely to avoid getting parried with knife while doing so), but getting the arm lock means that you can not only do damage (through the lock) but stop him form damaging you (from the knife)

one last thing all this changes again if you use T-bones variable defence at different reaches tweak!