View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 05:38 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Quick question on technical grappling.

My take on it was that you have a "grip" even at 0 CP. It's not necessary to have positive CP (which would be a natural assumption and hence is worth pointing out in the rules).

If the target has Control Resistance (thanks to being naked, oiled, etc), that penalty reduces your CP roll, and can reduce it even below 0. If CP goes negative because of Control Resistance, you don't have a "grip" (either you lost the one you had, or didn't get one in the first place).

It's not entirely clear to me whether you can roll CP < 0 (say, with a Thrust damage of 1d-2, you might roll a 1-2 = -1; this can only come up with grapplers of ST <= 10). In Basic damage, that's treated as a 0 -- you don't heal people by hitting them poorly and reducing their damage taken. I'm not sure if TG is meant to keep that "min damage 0" rule for CP, or whether it's possible to roll poor CP for some attempt to increase it, but instead reduce your total, possibly losing your grip when it falls below 0. (If so, grapplers at ST 10 or less have an extra threshold of disadvantage beyond just the lower CP generation rate. So I've been assuming only Control Resistance can take a base roll into the negative range.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote