View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #653
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Just checking, but did you see the Space-warp article, and do you have an opinion on it?
I saw it and I think calling them "Space-warp based sub-light drives" is more confusing then helpful

Space-warp by it very nature implies FTL while sub-light is anything that isn't FTL.

---

In fact, I wrote up a simple explanation for one of my fanfic or how the Stargates there work:

“Simply put, spacetime is a concept that connects the three dimensions of space with one of time,” Ami held out her hands together palms up. “Think of one of my thumbs being the Earth and the other the Moon. The Crystal Gates bend space time,” she continued closing her palms, “until from their prospective the Earth and Moon are right next to each other,” she finished her thumbs touching. “The formal term for it is an Einstein-Rosen Bridge; the common term is wormhole and is a way to go between two points faster than would be possible in ‘normal’ space. The problem is other than intense gravity the only way to do that would to access another dimension and that would put stress on any structure.”

---

I should mention that the above is completely viable under real world physics until you hit the "that would put stress on any structure" part with is plot cement as to way to explain why the Crystal Gates become Stargates.

Things like hyperdrive or the space-fold system in Macross/Robotech work along these lines.

I should add that Star Trek (TOS era) strongly hints at its sublight impulse drives being atomic powered. (Doomsday Machine)

There is so much variety that I doubt that Infopunk Earth would have anything even remotely resembling consistency of their sublight travel design.

There would be Flash Gordon/Buck Rodgers/Atompunk inspired atomic drives seen in the 1930s-1970s, the old round tubs forming the bottom par of an "A" seen in TOS, as well as the TNG inspired Warp coils.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote