View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #76
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Balancing High Size Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
The same problem should apply for things other than homogeneous objects. A contact explosion against living creatures of different size for example.
Living things of different size with extremely different physical qualities. We don't have a problem unless the small thing has the 'as hard to disrupt as the big thing' quality.
Quote:
The problem persists even for such a laser unless it is powerful enough to punch all the way through the object (which would require a ridiculously powerful laser for such cubes). If anything it seems to me that a more narrow beam should do more damage since it would penetrate deeper into the cube and thus act more like an internal rather than a contact explosion.
No, because damage (adjusted by AP factors) = penetration.

10 pi and 10 pi++ penetrate to exactly the same depth in a given substance, so the same goes for 10 burn+ and 10 burn++.

The laser doesn't act particularly like an explosion regardless of depth. It mainly acts like a (very fast) drill.
Quote:
Would this not just make the problem even worse? Assume that each hammer is of the same scale as the cube it is attacking. Then the smaller cube will take even less damage since the hammer attacking it is smaller.
Why would a smaller hammer make it take less damage? A smaller and thus finer-pointed hammer delivering the same energy (alternatively momentum, melee damage is problematic) should have higher damage.