View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 04:25 AM   #74
Tomsdad

Default Re: Balancing High Size Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
No, HP doesn't go as the cube. HP scales with dimension, not volume.
And volume is factor of dimension yes? HP increases with both, so increased ability to withstand damage due to increased size is shown by increased HP.

I think I see the problem here I'm not talking about a linear relationship I'm just stalking about a proportional one (more size more HP)

Quote:
Nope nope nope.
ah well if you say three time it must be 3x as true I guess!

Quote:
Both bullets shoot through. That was the premise.

The .22 hits the human for 10 damage, just barely passing through the body and causing 5 injury, or 50% of HP.

the 20mm hits the dino for 100 damage, just barely passing through the body and causing 200 injury, or 200% of HP.
That's not relevant to what you said, your comparison was to the same round having the same effect on both targets, you just demonstrated that different round have different effects on different targets, Yes that will be the case. What matters is the interaction between different limiting factors.

Quote:
For bonus points, if you somehow projected the .22 round through the dinosaur (!) it does 50% of HP...just like it would to the human. Despite being a proportionately much smaller hole.
Only if you change the power of the .22 round which would effect how much damage would be passed on, and yes different result will occur (i.e it no longer a like for like comparison) as different limiting factors take over in a different situation

That 10pt .22 will do 5pt wound to the human

the same .22 round would also do a 5pt wound to the T-rex.

The limiting factor here is the rounds ability to inflict damage

In order to penetrate the t.rex entirely it would have to do a 100pt (50pt wound). I.e it would have to be 10x as powerful!

Noticeable that super .22 would be limited to a 5pt wound on the human. Because as you say depth matters.

In this instance the limiting factor is over penetration (i.e. depth)

Also remember a .22 doing 100pt of damage is on average a 29d attack, that's going to be a lot of energy being imparted!

Quote:
Oh, and a .22 round is over 5mm, so given these numbers we really ought to be talking about about a 56mm shell going through the dino...but that wouldn't matter since you never rate higher than pi++.

Except that pi-, pi, pi+, and pi++ differ only by absolute size of the wound channel. Which makes no sense.
It make sense because absolute size of the wound channel is how they differ, although I agree the fact they do so by thresholds is not smooth.

The fact that the overall effect of the wound is relevant to the overall HP is what matters when it comes to effect on the target.

Which is why a .45 doing 6pt damage leaves a 9pt wound channel. Assuming there enough body to leave the entire channel in.

Which is 90% of HP to a HP10 target, but only 9% of HP on HP100 T-rex. The wound is the same size in both targets, but the different size of the different target's bodies means it has a different impact on the whole target.

Quote:
No, it's just tied to it: cover DR = HP. That's all there is to the assertion.
No you just made about WM means it not just about depth (but width as well).

There are several limiting factors here in terms of defining the effect of wounds

1). Weapons ability to impart energy (damage rolled)
2). Physical properties of the wound left due to physical properties of the weapon (WM)
3). The target's ability to withstand damage (HP)

Depth can come in into play in several places here, but it doesn't always and it when it does it not always the only or even the main limiting factor on the effect on injury

EDIT: One thing you seem to now be talking about the issues of variable Pi, whereas before you were just talking about penetrative damage and wound totals. These are two different things, (and what I replied to Anthony about)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-09-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote