View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#42): Doesn't Sleep, Less Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Someone who takes Less Sleep could spend extra time training... And end up with a net benefit in regards to points. Same for Doesn't sleep. Cheap way to improve your improvement rate and as such I only allow it on some templates that have some actual build-in weakness that they can't remove to keep it fair. Or I just take it up OOC with the player that he can't use the extra time to train because it would be cheesing the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doormatthew View Post
Most of the GM's I've played with don't bother keeping track of things like missed sleep. Those that do want their players to suffer the consequences of missed sleep, so they wouldn't be happy about players taking these advantages. This limits their effectiveness.

The biggest advantage in the campaigns I've played would be the extra time to study skills between adventures. Every level of Less Sleep means an extra hour of study a day. No Sleep means an extra 8 hours! It's a little thing, but it's helpful in long campaigns.
This is the most common use I've seen. My first gurps game was a play by post space exploration game with months of in-game time between destinations.

Yeah, I got lots of less sleep advantages and time spent work sheets. I can't think of a more ideal setup to abuse that loophole.

In my current game one player's character could use the advantage. Its a city management game (the town just got banestormed), so there are lots of little isolated incidents various characters may or may not be a part of. He's manic-depressive, and if he rolls manic too many times in a row, he stays up all night trying to do work.

He's the only character I require to track sleep, because he's constantly missing it. The others I don't, because they seem to get enough sleep, even when doing nightly guard duty. And its actually fun, because the player role-plays being unwilling to sleep and it makes all sorts of hilarious drama when people tell the most important man in the city he needs to go to bed.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote