View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #43
Varyon

Default Re: High Amounts of non penetrating damage. Bullets VS Plate Carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Ah OK I have to say I don't know those rules
You can find them on Tbone's Diner, or linked in my previously-linked thread, but they're a bit annoying to work out. I basically assumed the bullet was completely stopped by the collision (otherwise not all of the damage would have applied), and ignored the speed change suffered by the target (damage is actually based on the change in speed resulting from the collision), assuming the target was sufficiently large that this would be functionally 0. The end result is that the crushing component of a bullet is, in dice, W*V/1500, where W is weight in lb and V is velocity in mph. The annoying part, and why I didn't do it for more than three bullets, is that you need to use a weapon that's already statted in GURPS, look up muzzle velocity and weight, convert from ft/s (or m/s) and grains (or g) to mph and lb, and then run it through the calculation (and IIRC I didn't actually condense the equation as above, which made things even worse).

Quote:
I think my point is I'm not sure such a bullet can by itself push a target back a yard (so don't need to worry about pushing it's firer back a yard and so doesn't need to be tied to MinST)
A big part of this is an issue with the GURPS Knockback rules. Realistically, knockback isn't some instantaneous effect like we see in GURPS (where the target moves the intervening distance instantly, but is treated as having constant velocity that would require them to take a full second to move this distance while being pushed back) - rather, it's a brief acceleration that adds some velocity to the target, and the target will either need to accelerate itself to negate it or let friction+gravity do that for it. Actually working that out is going to be pretty nasty in play, however. There's also the issue (related to your later statements, which I haven't included simply for space) that GURPS calculates knockback based on HP, rather than on mass - something that pushes a 100 lb object back at 1 yard per second should push a 50 lb object back at around 2 yards per second, but as HP scales by cube root rather than linearly, and knockback is based on HP-2, the 100 lb object has a knockback threshold of 7, while the 50 lb one has a knockback threshold of 5. Additionally, mass from gear and armor doesn't make a difference in GURPS. Again, it's a loss of realism for the sake of being easy to use in play.

Quote:
There was a thread that touched on this just recently (and my later rules suggestions were wrong because of this!)
I'll give it a look.

Quote:
Yeah I think tying it damage done covers that (thrust damage being less than swung for that very reason)
Having the damage roll (not counting adds from the weapon) be at or near maximum for thrust result in an impaling weapon getting stuck is something I've considered. Thrust attacks only get stuck on particularly strong attacks, while swing attacks won't get stuck on weaker attacks. I opted against it, due to the fact that I interpret damage rolls as often being more about attack placement than the actual force behind the attack (which I think will typically be much less variable than the dice indicate).