View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
Rasputin

Default Re: What I'd like to see for DF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
D&D 4e went a ways towards making a varied encounter quickly by identifying some general combat roles, and labeling monsters with them. I think it went a bit far by being very prescriptive, but the role isn't actually a game mechanic.

Basically it loosely groups monsters into Artillery, Brutes, Controllers, Skirmishers, and Soldiers. Artillery monsters excel at raining death from a distance, but avoid melee. Brutes are big meleeing sacks of hitpoints that hit hard but have low skill. Controllers change the state of the battlefield (make hazardous terrain, provide cover, move people around, heal, etc). Skirmishers are fast and lightly armored hit-and-run mobility fighters. Soldiers engage toe-to-toe like Brutes but seek to block movement rather than explosively destroy.
You could work that into my book of foes idea. I suppose it's how you pitch the templates. I was thinking stuff like "Archdruid" or "Bandit," since I tend to think in those terms first and foremost. Those might give a little more variety for the melee combatants, and make things like "Bandit" or "Soldier" or "Guard" be lenses. Or "Brute" and "Skirmisher" become the lenses. Take your pick.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote