View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #14
Jaware

Default Re: Need advice designing a fair ultra tech gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
So, 30/15*, with DR 30 against piercing-class and cutting damage and DR 15 against everything else, right?
Yep. that's correct.

Quote:
You'd more likely be jury-rigging the weapon than the projectiles, but I suspect either is possible. What sort of DR do the monsters have? If they don't have much, fragmentation makes sense. If they do, it doesn't, not really.
The usual monsters have anywhere from 20 to 30 dr on average. with 10 to 15 flexible toughskin. The gauss rifles in the game are from icelanders ultratech guns page. they seemed to be extremely well balanced when i looked them over.

Quote:
For some reason I was thinking the micromissile price was for any Gyroc round that wasn't just a solid bullet. With that in mind, $7.50 makes more sense - it's still going to cost more than a normal bullet (it's a lot fancier, particularly with the ability to be remote detonated).
That's what I was thinking. pricey, but not outlandishly pricey. Enough to which if they wanted to make them homing micromissiles itll hurt their pocketbook.

Quote:
HEMP already do exceptional AOE damage - the fragmentation is what matters, not the crushing explosion (which, as I noted above, is basically null by moving only a few yards away). Of course, the original rounds would be, if anything, HEAT, which you might be well served in making them HEMP later. I'd suggest against that, however - a single 15mm HEAT/HEMP - with 30d of penetration - is going to tear through nearly anything short of a tank, meaning the nifty effect of being able to pump a target full of spikes and blow it up is pretty well meaningless.
Yyyyyyeeeeaaaa, and that's why I'm consulting the hivemind first before i break something that i cant fix in my game Hahaha

Quote:
First off, the x3 damage for internal explosions doesn't require the target to have Vitals to come into play (the reference to Vitals is more just to note "Hey, this has the same damage multiplier, ain't that keen?"). If you want a powerful "explosion" with a short range, throw realism out the window (and/or invoke superscience) to have an effect with a proper area of effect, where it does full damage within a given range, no damage outside of this (or even do it in tiers if you'd like).
I stand corrected. I must have read it wrong, I thought it said to treat it as an attack on the vitals so if there were no vitals, than no modifier. but it makes sense to me. I just kinda shrugged and assumed that it was that way for some reason that I didn't catch yet.

Quote:
As for the fragmentation, you might be able to justify an armor divisor on the fragments from hyperdense materials. Most of those get an armor divisor of (5), although with how haphazard shrapnel is going to be, I'd be tempted to drop that to (2) or (3).
fragmentation for 1d-1 will average some 2.5 points of cutting. the AD of 2 will make it cut through armor as a 5 point shard would. and the AD of 3 would cut through armor as a 7.5 point shard would so it still wouldnt slive through the DR 30 that they have... still could be super destructive to lots of smaller enemies without much if any armor.

my main concern will be someone shooting it at their feet and detonating it when there's a swarm of little things. Them walking away Scott clean and everything else looking like the set of a cheap slasher B movie.

Quote:
Double knockback is extremely appropriate for cinematic explosions. Heck, quadruple knockback wouldn't be out of the question.
Makes sense to me. I'll do some test here and see what I like more about it.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote