View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #47
whswhs

Default Re: Is a 5th Edition coming soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar
One of the problems with running campaigns in GURPS (for my group) is that some of my players are so used to playing D&D, and have so many of the monsters memorized (in terms of their combat abilities) that there is very little tension in a D&D combat encounter. Either you know that you can wipe out 8 Bugbears, or you know they'll wipe the party out (and will know to flee). Instead, with GURPS, depending on the campaign style and setting, and how the opposition is built, it's not always clear to them whether they will be victorious in a given encounter... So, they decide that to hedge against the uncertainty, they need more CP's.
To me, this is one of the paradoxes of preferences as applied to gaming. Of course you would prefer to have exciting encounters. But you don't want your character to die, either. So you either study up on the possible adversaries, or buy up your character's abilities to cover every possible contingency, like the White Knight with mousetraps on his horse. And you end up with a character who's not threatened by any foes he runs into, or with an entire party of such characters. And now there's not much excitement in playing; "kill the monster, grab the treasure, level up" becomes a routine.

Bill Stoddard