Thread: Redefining Role
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
JCD

Default Re: Redefining Role

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
The description of what a Role includes, if you pay points for it, notes that you get the skill Being an X at a level equal to the Role level. That would probably cover cultural competence within the province of the Role. i would think that cultural competence outside the province of the role would be key. I'd expect Cultural quizzing within the Role to trap low-level Roles, but for higher level Roles, you'll want to look for broader integration. It's also a question of acting ability, of course. If Bob the Djinn just shrugs when you you ask about his mom, that pings as odd, but if he says something like "I don't want to talk about it," that's not too unusual for someone with an unpleasant history. You want to look for idiosyncrasies and quirks unrelated to the job. Hobbies, for example, are often unrelated to occupation; look at the variety of people on these boards for examples of that.

To a certain extent yes, that is true. I disagree on technical questioning. The person is after all, supposedly skilled in their job.

I am speaking about more then just revelations of family as well. There is this mass of knowledge that I could relate and instantly connect to people of a certain age and region. 'You deserve a break today..." "A horse is a horse, of course, of course, And no one can talk to a horse of course..." 'Hi ho who?"

One thing doesn't twig, which is why there are lots of questions. A man may not talk about his mother. He may not know the name of the Lone Ranger's horse. It possible he never heard the Big Mac jingle "I'm a Mormon..." Does he know the lyrics to "Amazing Grace"? At a certain point, the cultural ignorance is glaring enough to start a more serious observation
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote