View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: Low TL familiarity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Reawakened lets you "remember" skills, spells, or techniques learned during past lives, and purchase them at the normal point cost. It normally works because you've been reincarnated, but the Basic Set says it's just a special Unusual Background that allows you to know those skills. I think the same 10-point cost could cover what you want.
Isn't 10 points more expensive than increasing your TL by 1, though? Admitting that I've never GMed, that seems odd to me for situations where somebody in a TL8 environment also wants to be able to have multiple TL7 skills, in addition to TL8 versions. "I can also use things from 1 TL lower without penalty" seems less valuable than "I get to learn my skills and buy my equipment at 1 TL higher than everyone else." (Or at least, it's less valuable in a campaign without a lot of time travel or parachronic travel. If this kind of situation (Star Trek) happens frequently, the advantage would be a better buy.)

Or is the point of 10 points (instead of 5) that you effectively have two separate TLs at the same time, instead of being limited to just one?

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 01-20-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote