View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #48
Mailanka

Default Re: GURPS Tactical Shooting

I have a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Shooting
A moving man makes for a poor firing base. Nevertheless,
shooting on the move is often unavoidable.

Move and Attack

Shooting while moving means that your attack gets a penalty
of -2 or the weapon’s Bulk rating, whichever is worse (p. B365).

You can buy off this penalty by learning Close-Quarters Battle
(p. 43). Move and Attack using CQB involves the “tactical walk”
or “combat glide” – a kind of fast walking without exaggerated
movement or body mechanics, with smaller steps than usual
and as little movement of the upper body as possible. This prevents
too much disturbance of the “firing platform” and also
avoids tripping (including over your own feet).
In closer spaces, the “shuffle step” is preferred, a movement
that has the shooter take slow, deliberate steps without crossing
the legs. The feet aren’t dragged along, but placed normally.
This is typically done at Move/3, or Move 1 when stealth is
required (p. B222).
There's not much here we didn't already know, and this all makes sense. If you move, you have a penalty to your shot equal to bulk. It says so right in Move and Attack.

Except Move and Attack isn't the only way to move and fire a weapon. You are allowed to make an All-Out Attack and fire a weapon (either "Determined" aka "a sighted shot" or "Suppression Fire"). This isn't controversial either. However, under All-Out Attack:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B365
Movement: You may move up to
half your Move, but you can only
move forward.
The language is clear: When you're making an All-Out Attack, either version, you're allowed to move half of your movement. Nowhere in All-Out Attack does it state that ranged attacks suffer a bulk penalty if you do this. In fact, the only place it states this is Move and Attack. In fact, bulk is defined thus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B270
Bulk
Ranged weapons only. A measure of
the weapon’s size and handiness. Bulk
modifies your weapon skill when you
take a Move and Attack maneuver (see
Move and Attack, p. 365)
That's very explicit. You suffer the Bulk penalty only when you take the Move and Attack maneuver, which is a specific maneuver, not a general rule.

Tactical Shooting seems, from my reading, to assume that AoAs with a gun will be made standing still, but as I understand the rules, that's not so. In fact, you could probably simulate the "shuffle step" pretty nicely with an AoA determined: Sighting down at the target while moving in a deliberate but quick fashion that gives no penalties to shooting at the cost of being able to dodge, and yet Hans doesn't discuss this.

Am I missing something? I've hunted over the errata on this and the FAQ and found nothing. Is it intentional that one can make an AoA to move and fire without suffering bulk penalties, or is it the intention that the ability to move and attack during an AoA is limited only to melee attacks and this is errata?