Thread: fantasy races
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #40
Gudiomen

Default Re: fantasy races

I have made a ton of fantasy races in the past, from basically human to stuff that escapes classification.

My basic approach is amalgamation, either physical or conceptual.

Physical would be like a hybrid between a human and some animal, or example the Giants in one of my setting are roughly the cross between humans and orangutans... they have bodies covered in long reddish hair, long arms, grayish skin... they have low tech (TL0), and are very big... about 3 yards tall.

Conceptual is more an amalgamation of the subjective characteristics you'd expect from a cross with pretty much anything. Dwarves for example, are to some extent, what Tolkien expected that humans made from stone would develop into. The sithi of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn draw on conceptual tones from birds of prey... the way they move, think and build their societies... differences are much more on the abstract level than on the physical one, both dwarves and sithi are very human-like physically (one is short, the other has pronounced cheek-bones and other minor differences). Elves are a pretty good example too, they are "elevated humans", they draw on the conept of perfection (they are beautiful, immortal, everything they do is better be it a song, a weapon or a boat...).

You can do both, physical and conceptual amalgamation. One of my races is slight physical amalgamation with hunting bats, they're hairer than humans, have sharper teeth, are slightly smaller and lighter, and have keen hearing. They are the conceptual addition of Id, humanities primal instincs, so all things emotional are enhanced, pride, lust, love, taste for fighting, etc... very visceral.

You have to be careful not to overdo it though, ideally anyone playing in your setting shouldn't spot the origins of the species without putting a lot of thought. The same goes for conceptual amalgamation, if it's too strong or brash it becomes stereotypical or unbelievable.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote