View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #695
David Johansen

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

My store is primarily a miniatures gaming space. It started out because I wanted to rent some workspace for a while and have somewhere to game and I thought if I carried some of the cool new stuff that the other stores here were neglecting it would help to pay for the space. It's as fly by night / shoe string an operation as there's ever been.

It's had it's ups and downs but I'm still going after four years. The rpgs are a bit hit and miss but I often kick myself when someone walks away because I didn't have something. But GURPS is a hard sell. It's like a massive wall of options that just stops new players cold. I may take a better swing at it in the new year, print up some new copies of GURPS Lite to give out and push for a big crazy science fiction campaign. Of course, the majority of people will be looking for Star Wars, sigh.

I'm afraid the D&D starter set is pretty bad, it doesn't have a proper rule book in it. I know that Basic D&D is free on-line, indeed that was enough to shift me towards giving 5e a look. But a cripple ware starter set is a sad state of affairs and printing a booklet isn't all that cheap.

Personally, there's a lot more that could be done to move GURPS in stores and no one plan is necessarily better than another but some might be better than doing nothing.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote