View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #539
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Actually, I sort of see the effect he is going for, in which case I think area may actually be the correct build, and no speed is required.

He is counting a doorway as an existing 'portal'- in that you cross through a doorway to go from point A to point B- since a doorway already counts as a portal with inherit movement speed between A and B he can 'subvert' it to another dooway. Since dooways normally have no 'space' between them, he needs the area effect to cover the entire space that is going to have its doorways altered.

I'm not sure I buy the 'doorways are portals' bit, and I'm not sure the spell is built properly even if a GM were to buy it, but I think I follow the logic.
I follow his logic as well, but I don't think it's the correct way to build this. Area of Effect affects everything in the area, and you have to specifically pay extra to stop it from affecting certain targets. If there are only two portals in the area, I might be able to let it slide, but with more than that I'm not certain how you'd even handle it, as you can't very well link every door together. Maybe something where each time you pass through an affected portal you get moved to another affected portal at random. Even then, it's still teleporting objects, and that requires Speed - I don't think there's any real way around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
For a system that has an entire path dedicated to crossroads, RPM doesn't do gates over a distance cheaply, at least not by way of creation. Its much better at going between dimensions.
Indeed. It seems odd to me that a two-way portal between dimensions costs as much as a one-way portal* between end zones on a (American) football field. Personally, I'd be tempted to require a dimensional portal to have a Greater Strengthen Crossroads effect to actually breach the dimensional barrier.

*I assume a one-way portal only needs to pay for Range to the "start" point, while a two-way portal needs to pay for Range to each. Assuming the start point is within reach of the mage, the dimensional gate costs 10 energy for crossing a dimensional barrier, while the Instant Touchdown ritual spends 10 energy for the effective Speed of 100 yards per second.