View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #14
Magesmiley

Default Re: Smart linking Turrets: If B-29 had them, then why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Let's test that.

Let's say I have a vehicle with a pair of MGs linked F and a Pair of MGs linked in a turret. I could fit a SWC to the turret pair. If I then smart link the turret to the front MGs, I can aim the turret MGs into all arcs other F and claim the SWC bonus. If I fire the F MGs separately I don't gain anything for the SWC. Nothing contentious there I hope.

Why when firing to the front arc should I suddenly loose the benefit of the SWC on the turret? As I am not aiming the F MGs why cannot the smart link simply do it's job and fire at the same target as my MGs? As all weapons fired from links gain all the targeting modifiers of the aimed weapon then they get the bonus.
I'd actually argue that you don't lose them for the turret, but that the bonus doesn't apply to the Front MGs in this situation. The SWC isn't configured/built to provide a bonus to the front MGs. They're literally firing from a different position and the computer you're using isn't configured to improve the accuracy of the weapon from the other position, although the smart link allows them to be aimed at the same target.

Keep in mind that the text you're referring to says linked, which isn't necessarily the same as smart linked. The text actually predates the addition of smart links and single weapon computers to the game, and probably needed an update that it didn't get.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote