View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 06:33 AM   #45
cptbutton

Default Re: Question about Infinity, Centrum, the Cabal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
In GURPS Alternate Earths 2 there is a sidebar on page 110 "Centrum Dark, Centrum Light" discussing how to make it darker or lighter. It refers to another sidebar "The Federation" in error, because that sidebar was cut from the final version.

I asked about it on sjgames.gurps back in 2004, and Craig Neumeier kindly posted it. I've got a printout of the post, but nothing electronic. Basically a Centrum that relaxed after getting rid of Secundus.

Too lazy to look for any Centrum Light stuff in 4E right now.

Edit: I'd always assumed the "Technocracy" was a better term for Centrum.
Finally got around to digging it out and typing it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Neumeier, LHN

The Federation

What does the future hold for Centrum? Assuming that the struggle with Secundus is resolved satisfactorily, it seems likely to become an autocratic empire chiefly distinguished for its reach, dominating and oppressing perhaps a few hundred worlds before its inevitable fall.

Better options are available, if Centrum can relax its paranoia and start to accept partners instead of only subjects. It could evolve into a coalition of advanced worlds, pooling their technology and resources, planting colonies, and sending scholars and diplomats to more primitive worlds. The Interworld Service could become a multi-world institution handling defense and exploration, while leaving ordinary transport to other groups. The setting might even come to resemble a certain well-known United Federation of Planets, spread across hundreds of parallel Earths instead of the Alpha Quadrant of the galaxy.