View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #10
VariousRen

Default Re: [DF] Stealthy Archery in Forests

Thanks for all the advice, here's how I'm thinking about running situations like this in the future:

Each shot with a bow gives enemies a new vision based Per quick contest to spot the archer. If the archer is fast drawing arrows this vision check is at +4. If the archer is camouflaged the target must beat both their stealth and camouflage rolls.

Additionally, each bowshot gives enemies a hearing roll to locate the general direction and distance of the shot. High Tech pg.158 lists the unmodified hearing roll distance for a bow as 4 yards (and a crossbow as 8). Bowstring silencers give a -2 to hearing, and apparently medieval arrows and bows didn't suffer from the distinctive twang that gives modern bows away. I'll treat all bows as either naturally silenced or assume any skilled DF archer has made themselves some bow silencers. That effectively moves our unmodified hearing roll to 1 yard. Every doubling of this distance gives a -1 to hearing. Additional penalties are added for foliage, -1 for light forest, -3 for jungle, -2 for something in between. Finally, many helmets give Hard of Hearing for another -5! At 100 yards in moderate forest this would be a hearing roll at -8 or -13.

Finally, once enemies are unstunned they can attempt a Per based tactics roll to work out the direction of the shooter based on where shots are coming from (crucial for taking effective cover!). They receive a bonus based on the number of shots fired; read the distance as shots fired on the speed/range chart to find the bonus. If shots are being fired from more than one direction they have a -4 to figure out anything other than "They're in the god damn trees man!". If a shooter pauses their shooting to reposition they can subtract the number of yards they move from the shots they fired for this tactics roll, but will have to abandon any camouflage and allow a quick contest of vision vs stealth. (at -5 if they move faster than move 1).

This feels like it gives stealthy ranged characters some teeth, but also gives other characters an effective way to respond. High Per characters may spot shooters earlier while those with tactics can quickly figure out where the shots are coming from and direct allies to take cover. Spells like Plant Vision may prove very useful for depriving shooters of concealment (shooters hiding behind trees and bushes may suddenly have +10 for being in plain sight!).

Let me know what you think and if you see any problems with the rules above.