View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#42): Doesn't Sleep, Less Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Given that the GM was allowing it to work, is it really abuse?
Given that you had newbie GM who had only played a few weeks of PbP before, and who had never played outside of 3.0 D&D with younger siblings and cousins as a teenager (and the social dynamic of that group was free of many of the pitfalls of internet groups), yes, it was abuse. I didn't hold it against the players, but it was not what I was prepared for. I'd never played with folks who knew a system better than I did before.

Quote:
In both cases, the GM can take advantage of this to tell a better story. Perhaps a role that was going to be reserved for an NPC goes to your character because hey, you had time to learn the language before landing? Adjust things because now you're Lockpicking is 20 instead of 18. Actually had something else for your character to spend that time on; could still be your choice, but studying means Path A, goofing off means Path B, ship maintenance means Path C, etc.

Don't get me wrong, GM's I had needed some time to realize these things, and the only reason I didn't mess it up myself in my own campaigns is they didn't last long enough (and were torpedoed by other, more significant problems). >.>
Yep, there are ways to handle this. But those require skills I was still picking up!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote