View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #20
Icelander

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#42): Doesn't Sleep, Less Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That's why I put in the extra -i-. Somnus, somni-, sleep; somnium, somnii-, dream. Though I suppose that could also be someone who dreams about food!
Hmmm... weird, only tangentially related question, what traits does someone with Doesn't Sleep need to be able to deliberately enter a dream state?

Will Autotrance do it, with the Dreaming skill governing how much control he has over his lucid dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
(When you dream of eating, does the food have any taste? In my dreams, food is more like the abstract notion of food, without nutritive value or actual flavor.)
I can't remember ever having dreamt about eating. Well, I've dreamt about some alien critters who spent a lot of time eating brains, but I wasn't one of them in the dream. I was me. I did see them eat other unfortunates, but the dream ended before they et me. Not that I'm likely to have discovered what the brains tasted like if I was on the other end.

I do remember two occasions when the dream included a sense of taste. One was when I was killing a soldier at a train yard with a knife. I was a young teen in the dream and even an 18-year-old conscript was heavier than me, so as he was struggling and trying to breathe through a ruined throat, he fell on top of me. I kept the knife in the side of the neck and tried to jar it around to completely sever the artery and his blood leaked in my face. As I recall, it tasted like blood. It was shockingly warm, I remember that.

The other was somebody's lips. She tasted like strawberries. Well, fake strawberries. Gum or lip gloss, I guess.