View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
balzacq

Default Re: Mass Combat Help Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
I'd call bicycle infantry Mounted Rifles (p. 21). Bicycles are different from beasts, but the net effect is the same: You can carry more and move faster, but you need more logistic support. Comparing MR to ordinary Riflemen:
† Looking at the cost differences between Mounted Rifles and Riflemen, we're talking about (100K - 60K)/10 = $4,000 per man to raise and (20K - 12K)/10 = $800 per man to maintain. Interestingly, the Swiss phased out such units in part because of the high cost of the bikes, which are being sold for $1,000 as surplus.
Interesting. Horses are also extremely expensive (at least nowadays when there are a whole lot fewer of them), and require large amounts of fodder to be militarily useful. I'd think that bicycles would require a lot less logistical support, since they don't eat anything and are mostly field-maintainable (a truck full of tools, parts, and spare tires will sustain a whole lot of bikes for a long time).

I'd reflect this as keeping or only slightly increasing the Raise cost while reducing the Maintain cost for Mounted Riflemen (Bicycle).

My idea of US foreign policy is three-fold:
If you have nice stuff, we’d like to buy it.
If you have money, we’d like to sell you our stuff.
If you mess with us, we kill you.
balzacq is offline   Reply With Quote