View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
macphersonrants

Default Re: Mass Combat Help Please!

I agree that the bicycle is not much of a fighting platform. It could be a big enhancer for mobility though.

There is an event called Paris-Brest-Paris where the best endurance cyclist are able to cover 1200km in under 50 hours. The ride is self supporting, so the are carrying what amounts to light encumbrance. Riders with what I would rate as 11-12 HT are still able to do it in under 90 hours.

This is over paved roads, but impressive distances are possible on dirt as well. The 24 hour off road record is over 350 miles.

With a load of 50-60 pounds over paved roads or hardpack dirt I think a person with the physique of an average infantrymen could probably cover 80-100 miles in the equivalent of a forced march. He could probably cover 50 and be in reasonable shape to fight. In short this gives a bicycle mounted infantrymen mobility about the same as light cavalry.

On flat ground he could probably make 12-15 miles per hour with that load, but if he dropped everything but weapons and ammo 20-25 is probably reasonable over short distances, which offers some obvious tactical advantages.

With a trailer or a purpose built cargo bike you could easily haul a weapon like an M2HB heavy machine gun or a 60mm mortar. If you broke the weapon down and parceled it and the ammo out to 4-6 riders they could probably keep up with rifle armed soldiers.

In short, the bicycle mounted infantrymen on something like a modern mountain bike optimized for carrying a load would have at least double the mobility of a regular light infantrymen, at the cost of a somewhat reduced combat load (60 lbs is probably about the max).