View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 04:57 AM   #6
copeab

Default Re: MVDS and Mass Combat, revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Brandon,

this is interesting, but it would be really useful only if it integrated everything. At present it seems focused on tanks, with other combat vehicles already not sounding all that right. If I want to assess mass-combat values I would need to factor in infantry, artillery, etc.
Infantry would use the normal rules for calculating TS value. OTOH, I don't think the mass combat rules takes into account MG teams, anti-tank teams, etc.

Edit: An anti-tank team would probably best be handled as artillery that can only neutralize an armor advantage (although some infantry AT weapons did have an HE capability). The basic +TL to a soldier's TS for a rifle should probably assume a bolt-action rifle. A soldier with a semi-automatic rifle might get a +1 to this. I'm not sure about what modifiers to make for soldiers with SMGs or assault rifles. For machine guns, perhaps +(TL*1.5) for an LMG, +(TL*2) for a MMG and +(TL*3) for a HMG. This would just be for the MG gunner; anyone else in the crew has their TS figured as above.

The SdKfz 251/1 and M-3A1 halftrack, under mass combat rules, would have +6 TS, which is what they get with my formula. The SdKfz 250/1 is only one point higher. The jeep is admittedly a bit off, but, like most unarmored vehicles, probably should have (a low) TS assigned rather than calculated. While the Universal Carrier is a bit high (+11 TS), it carries only about 1/3 the number of infantry as the American and German halftracks.

As for artillery, it's given a flat TS of 100 under mass combat rules. Since that's probably for a 105mm piece, it might be reasonable to assign a TS to artillery equal to it's bore. Mortars, being much shorter ranged than howitzers and cannons, would probably have a TS of half bore. I'm not sure what to do about rockets. I probably would not make a distinction between towed and SP artillery for mass combat -- that's more of a strategic distinction than tactical one. Anti-tank and infantry guns, which are normally fired directly, are a different situation, which I haven't my up my mind on yet.

BTW, for those wondering, the GURPS Mass Combat system can be found in Compendium II and Roleplayer #30.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 01-25-2006 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Added section on small arms TS
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote