View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #59
Icelander

Default Re: Resolved,There is no point to statting up anything that is not a PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinX View Post
I know, I know: GURPS point values aren't the same as D&D "Levels" or Challenge Ratings or the like, but it does help to know that if my Combat Monster NPC comes to 200 points, he's about equal to the 200-point Combat Monster PC(s).
But that's just it.

He's not about equal in combat power, in challenge rating or in any other useful formula that you can use to gauge relative power. He has spent an equal number of 'I want that trait' points and that's all the two have in common.

A martial artist with insanely high ST and DX as well as Karate at DX+10 and Judo at DX+10 as well as six other martial art skills at DX+8 (that's well over 200 points) will not be equal in any way, shape or form to a 0-point soldier who has Guns -12, Tactics -10 and Stealth -10 and is waiting with a rifle aimed at a doorway he's coming through.

Points loosely measure adventuring utility, but mostly, they act as a limit on how many cool powers players can buy. They don't really impact tactical situations in the game all that much, since being issued equipment and holding an advantageous position is not even worth any points. And that has a much greater bearing on the result.