View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #55
Nymdok

Default Re: Resolved,There is no point to statting up anything that is not a PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinX View Post
...I know, I know: GURPS point values aren't the same as D&D "Levels" or Challenge Ratings or the like, but it does help to know that if my Combat Monster NPC comes to 200 points, he's about equal to the 200-point Combat Monster PC(s).

Point values are a reasonable reference for relative power levels, given apples-to-apples comparisons ... and even for ballpark comparisons, inasmuch as that most 200-point characters (built on the same starting assumptions, i.e. what traits are available) are roughly equivalent in "overall" power level, even if their focus is different.
If most of the PCs are using combat builds then using NPCs with combat builds helps maitain consistency, but only in a vague and loose sense that will be trampled soon after points are acquired.

At 100 points its not too tough, but once the PCs have 20 more poitns to spend, where do those points go and what skills/abilities do they acquire? The NPCs most certainly will not spend the points the same way and it wont take long before the figter that spread his points between swor, shield, knife, brawling and Axe/Mace is outclassed or evenly matched to an NPC mook that has a lower point value, but a more concentrated focus.

Nymdok