View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: GM Screen Alternatives

Well, I mainly just memorize 90% of the system. ;-)

I also almost never use a screen with tables, partly because I don't have one, don't need one, and the published ones never have the things I'd want on them.

I can see using a screen if I had one I liked. I would use the TFT one if I had it.

So I may not be the right person to refer to as the audience for the new TFT screen, but what I do use may be useful for the other reference materials.

What I do do is make my own reference sheets and keep those handy. What I actually use is mostly several folders with 8.5" x 11" paper sheets with whatever on them, including those reference sheets.

I think it makes sense to put the things for character development & creation on separate reference sheets rather than facing players during play.

The things that help me in play are the things that come up during action situations which I have not memorized and might be tempted to look up or get wrong. e.g. I would suggest:

* list of situational DX modifiers (include various two-weapon attack situations)
* effects of multi-hex figures on engagement / push / trampling
* effects of injury on high-ST figures
* crit hit/miss/double/triple numbers for 4d, 5d 6d etc rolls
* effects of different body positions/postures (including kneeling from Aimed Shots rule, might want to ADD sitting for RP purposes)
* height advantage effects
* dead body & common broken ground effects
* darkness effects (& torch & lantern & light spell effects)
* encumbrance table / effects
* initiative roll modifiers (don't forget the "if you're fleeing, you can move first" one)
* aimed shot & dagger marksmanship penalties & effects (hopefully improved)
* crippling hit table (hopefully improved)
* clubs & bare hand weapon damage table (hopefully improved)
* HTH initiation, details, pinning, striking into HTH (hopefully improved)
* mounted/flying combat summary or mods & rolls, panic table
* summary of how to do climbing & swimming & jumping
* long-range attack penalties
* time needed for various actions (physicking, resting, burning down a door...)
* distance sound travels & is muffled by doors
* the travel rules/roles for getting lost, exposure/starvation/dehydration damage, etc.
* peculiar weapons summaries (hopefully improved)
* fine weapon break chances
* molotail/gunpowder/fire rule reminders
* animal DX mods & other rules (min IQ to see illusions, -2DX animals attacked by fire & won't initiate HTH, etc)
* gestures required by wizards based on IQ vs spell IQ
* time / resources / teachers required to learn spells & talents by various means
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote