View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 04:32 AM   #26
Tomsdad

Default Re: Combat Reflexes without defense bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Actually, that's sort of the point. Is a choice with only one valid option really a choice at all? I'd prefer a trait priced appropriately so that it isn't just the first 15 points of every single fighter build.

Or, to look at it from the other side, why do combat heroes get such a discount on the bundle of capabilities that make up their essential advantage when other characters don't?
For me all PC build choices are still subject to my (the GM) agreement, so "combat reflexes or not" is not a free choice based just on what you get for the points.

Now I have to say it's not one I have a lot of problems signing off on for a lot of builds because it does fit a lot fo PC builds well.

But what I really use it for as point of distinction is between everyone else. Ie NPCs can have it too, and I happily play up it advantages for everyone!

Ultimately it's up to the GM to avoid CR inflation where everyone has it just because they once shot a gun or swung a sword in anger

So I'm happy if the PC team for experienced combat vets who all have CR use it to advantage. But equally if the a trained hit squad of NPCs go gunning for less combat oriented PC's yeah they'll levegare CR as well!

And of course CR vs CR often negates each other as well!

I take the point it's a cheap 15pt for what it gets, but I happily rationalise that as 15pt + GM OK is:

1). It's a good way to distinguish those who react well under fire compared to everyone else

2). It's a good way to avoid deaths in bad situations without having the NPCs unrealistically ignore the options of ambushes and surprise.

This is a bit meta of course, and while I tend to run on the gritty end of the spectrum and my table seems happy with that. Even we don't find rolling up character sessions as much fun as those characters doing stuff sessions!

3). It's not too overpowered so long as you keep an eye on what else get's added onto it, so for instance i'm going to keep it in mind if the player with it say's "oh and because my character has combat experience I'll have two levels of Enhanced dodge as well".

Last edited by Tomsdad; 02-14-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote