View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 02:25 AM   #17
Racer

Default Re: The Old Car Wars Novels/Stories - Any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I quite enjoyed Double Jeopardy, and am planning on getting my third (!) copy soon. Aaron Allston, being one of the O.G. Car Wars contributors, is quite allowed to bend the setting to tell a fun story. Besides that I found it very readable, I was impressed that a) the plot requires a particular aspect of the universe to work, and b) you don't need to be a deep fan of the universe to understand the plot.

...and to this day, I still use "Hi! I'm Jedediah! Can I fix yore car?" when mimicking genial idiocy.
Yes I thoughly enjoyed it to . Not many copies crossed over to the UK , but I managed to pick up one in the old Forbidden Planet store on Oxford Street .
It only cost as about £3.20 in early/mid '90's , which I considered extremely cheap - many paperback novels at Planet were straight Dollars-to-Pounds conversions & add on further 'clearance discounts' & some amazing bargains could be had . A friend bought about three copies around a year later for £2 at same store & distributed the spares as Christmas Presents to CW playing friends .

I've still got Car Warriors #1-4 & a few spares of the other issues ( mainly #1 ) for later resale .

I've been very surprised that there isn't more Car Wars stories on Fan Fiction ?

One series that would have been great to upload was those that the late 'Matt the Hatt' wrote & had on his CW webpages . Unless someone else downloaded or has hardcopies , they've been lost since 2007 when page became unavailable .
His 'Mr Copper & Mr Steel' stories based on his & our groups Mercenary characters were hilarious ! The 'rotor blade incident' which actually happened in one of our games , was included in 'The Stag Beetle & The Terminators' story .
Happy times ...